WE ARE GRIDBRIGHT
GridBright® securely and sustainably integrates utility grid systems helping the industry keep the lights on in the face of increased intensity of natural disasters, frequency of cyber-attacks, and penetration of renewable and distributed energy resources.
GridBright is an employee-owned company with an entrepreneurial culture. It is headquartered near Silicon Valley and has clients and employees located nationally. Its deeply experienced management team comprises industry leaders who have worked in utilities, consulting, and software companies. We are proud of our high employee retention and customer satisfaction record.
GridBright is integrating the modern grid with services that include the interconnection of sustainable transmission and distribution level resources, systems strategy consulting, business case development, procurement process support, and system implementation and integration. Our capabilities span all domains of utility operations technologies and systems.
GridBright’s expanding offerings enable a secure, compliant, and efficient exchange of sensitive grid data across the entire grid ecosystem. Its BetterGrids Repository (BetterGrids.org) enables the exchange of publicly available grid data among researchers in 45 countries.
GridBright specializes in secure and sustainable grid integration. Sustainability is in our tagline—more importantly, it is our business. All three of our business units directly and substantially support the achievement of our client’s and the nation’s sustainability outcomes.
- Our developer’s practice has assisted nearly 100 GW of wind, solar, geothermal, and storage resources through various stages of the grid interconnection process with more than 60 transmission & distribution service providers in virtually all regions of North America – More than 10 GW of such resources are already in operation.
- Our utility consulting practice is focused on implementing the advanced control systems required to integrate renewables and distributed energy resources into the control regimes of operating utilities throughout North America.
- Our software business unit has a multi-year history of successfully completing multiple DOE-sponsored research and development. Each focused on used cases of the exchange of secure grid data in support of sustainability and renewable projects:
- The Grid Data Repository ARPA-E Grant created the BetterGrids Repository (BetterGrids.org), a curated and free grid data repository for researchers, academics, and application developers to develop and test the software and algorithms required to build a sustainable electric grid. The current repository community totals thousands of researchers in 45 countries globally.
- The Secure Grid Data Exchange (SGDX) ARPA-E Grant created a suite of technology, processes, and standards that focuses on grid data exchange for collaboration among new energy ecosystem actors and the integration of near real-time data between wholesale market operators and renewable generators. The outcome of this grant was the creation of GRIDEON®, a Software as a Service (SaaS) offering of GridBright that brings to market the SGDX technology in support of our client’s sustainability objectives.
- Our current project, PV Integration Using a Virtual Air Gap (PIVA), funded by DOE Solar Energy Technologies Office (SETO), is creating technology for near real-time integration of behind-the-meter solar performance and operational data into operating utility control rooms integrating with their Advance Distribution Management System by utilizing IoT and cloud-based technologies.
Our commitment to sustainability in creating software and services to support its advance did not just start with the creation of GridBright. A significant number of our current employees were members of a previous company called Utility Integration Services (UISOL) which was also founded by our Founder. UISOL started a software practice in 2004 with R&D funding from the California Energy Commission to design and demonstrate software for demand response management. The project results were commercialized in software offering first put in production in the wholesale electric markets in 2009 at PJM. This software was deployed in most United States independent system operators. Ultimately UISOL was sold to Alstom as they integrated it into their distributed resource management system (DERMS) platform to support renewable energy integration in the utility sector.
GridBright also focuses on sustainability within its operations. Its headquarters is a NetZero facility. Sustainability is an integral element of our corporate governance structure. Our WEB presence prominently highlights our ambition is higher than simply commercial success. We have the opportunity to change the electric industry. Our vision is to provide grid solutions essential to developing better solutions for grid optimization, control, resiliency, and integration of renewable and distributed resources—each and all critical components of a sustainable future.
GridBright is an employee-owned company with an entrepreneurial culture.
We have an ambitious business plan, and we are passionate about our work and customers.
We are always looking for qualified individuals who want to join us.